NYS Burn Ban
This time of year we review the necessary New York State Burn Ban that is in effect March 16th through May 14th, 2023. For Town of Newburgh residents the ban is always in effect since our population is over 20,000 people. This ban is for the prevention of widfires and your environmental protection. There are other things we can do as a community and homeowners to protect yourself from the risk of wildfires due to the drastic weather swings we have had in recent years. Now is the time to work on these improvements before any brush or wildfires occur. Click on the following link to download valuable tips.
NYS DEC has published a brochure outlining these protective measures that can be taken called “Firewise”
In summary we suggest the following tips:
1) HOME IGNITION ZONE- keep 30′ around your home free of combustible materials (including mulch around foundations)
2) LEAN, CLEAN, AND GREEN LANDSCAPING- keep vegetation trimmed and green
3) FIRE RESISTIVE ROOF- when planning roof construction/replacement consider fire resistive materials & keep gutters cleaned out
4) FIRE-RESISTANT CONSTRUCTION AND ATTACHMENTS- Double glass window replacement and fire resistive siding and doors will help protect your home.
5) HAVE AN EMERGENCY PLAN- Discuss what will happen in an emergency, plan escapes, where to go, what tools and supplies are needed
6) EMERGENCY ACCESS- Make sure your address number is clearly visible and there is sufficient access for emergency vehicles
As always prevention and preparedness begins with each one of us. Help us help you in the event of an emergency! Thank you in advance and be safe.